February 09, 2006

Random Acts of Pain

1. I have a broken hand.
I returned to the basketball court last week for the first time in several months. During the second game I was involved in a collision that broke the fourth metacarpal on my left hand. I will have surgery next week to set the bone and install a plate.

This will set me back in the workout department. I was already seeing results from phase one of Mike Robertson's training plan. He has graciously offered to put the training on hold until the hand heals. The initial prognosis has me returning to lifting heavy weights in about three months, lighter lifting can resume sooner.

2. IU Lost Again
I'm ready to turn in my Hoosier Nation membership card. Last night's loss to Wisconsin was disgraceful. I'll have more to say later.

3. Girls are Better Than Guys...At Destroying Themselves
Teen girls are smoking and using prescription drugs more than teen boys, a new finding that is surprising in light of an overall decline in drug use.

4. McDonald’s french fries just got fatter
Translation: The level of potentially artery-clogging trans fat in a portion of large fries is eight grams, up from six, with total fat increasing to 30 grams from 25! And very few people will care about that and keep right on eating them.

5. Mike Davis is Still the Coach of Indiana
I'll let me buddy Steve break down the IU/Wisconsin game for me since all of his fingers are working.

Yeah. It's a beautiful day today. At least U2 won a bunch of Grammies.

2 comments:

Rob Rogers said...

4. McDonald’s french fries just got fatter
Translation: The level of potentially artery-clogging trans fat in a portion of large fries is eight grams, up from six, with total fat increasing to 30 grams from 25! And very few people will care about that and keep right on eating them.


I wish they'd have two types of fries on the menu.

The first could be whatever the hell they want or need to make to appease the whining masses who complain about the health values of the fries, as though fast food french fries will ever be anything but bad for you.

And the second--my fries--would go back to the old recipe, before they started using vegetable oil and started worrying about health reports over flavor. Ah, for the McDonald's fries of my youth. Today's version are just a poor imitation.

You know, some people say that the reason Americans eat so much crap is that our food tends to be so bland. You eat more, hoping with each bite to get more of that full flavor that whatever you're chewing on just hints at. The fries of my youth might actually prove to be healthier because you'd eat fewer of them, sated earlier with all the goodness that McDonald's fries used to be.

The fact that I've fantasized about having a time machine to go back in time and eat *real* McDonald's fries is a little sad.

Spork Boy said...

The fact that I've fantasized about having a time machine to go back in time and eat *real* McDonald's fries is a little sad.

Sad? It's downright frightening.