June 04, 2008

The NBA: Where 1987 Happens

I couldn't agree more with Dan Shanoff:
The Last Word: So I was tuned in to the replay of Game 6 of the 1987 NBA Finals between the Lakers and Celtics, and it did nothing to change my mind that the nostalgia kick around the 2008 Finals is a crutch. I was watching with a rabid sports fan in his 20s, for whom the NBA in the 80s was little more than a blurred childhood memory. "Where 1987 Happens" cannot really be the way the NBA wants to look forward.
I realize that all the executives at ESPN and other sports media outlets are reminiscing about the classic battles from the 80's between the Celtics and the Lakers, but this is 2008. Enough with the nostalgia. And if another ESPN personality calls for both teams to wear short shorts, I think I'm going to throw something at the TV (yes, I'm looking at you, Stuart Scott).

No comments: