April 01, 2008

Hoosiers Hire Tom Crean as Next Coach


Well, that was fast.
Indiana is turning to Tom Crean to bring respectability back to Hoosiers.

A couple dozen wins each year would help, too.

After a tumultuous season and turbulent coaching search, the Hoosiers finally hired Crean on Tuesday as what they hope will be a long-term replacement for Kelvin Sampson. Sampson resigned in February amid a phone-call scandal that included five major allegations from the NCAA.

Crean is not the sexy hire I was hoping for, nor was he really on my radar...this year. He was on my radar two years ago before Sampson was hired. Overall, I'm happy with this choice. I'm not jumping up and down, but I'm not indifferent. I'll reserve full judgment and wait for the press conference.

Here's a nice take on this over at The Dagger:
Now Crean has landed there. The next step is to find out if he can coach. If his Marquette returns are any indication, he could be an inscrutably solid, if not dazzling, solution to IU's considerable woes. Indiana got bailed out with this one. Now it's up to Crean to right the ship.
I hope he can.

No comments: