March 12, 2008

Cheezy Technique - Amazing Results

As much as I want to eat according to a sound nutritional plan and stay compliant, I struggle just like everybody else. In my weaker moments, I will engage in an internal dialog to justify eating a hamburger, high-GI carbs, or any kind of sweet (especially ice cream, my kryptonite).

But I may have found something that will help me. Ryan Andrews of the Precision Nutrition team writes about the "oh well" technique. Here it is in all its complicated glory:
You see, after learning which foods were on the plan and which were off the plan, each time he was presented with a food off the plan, instead of debating the merits of the food, instead of justifying "just one bite," instead of talking himself into a poor decision, he simply repeated the cheesy trigger phrase:

"Oh Well, it's not on my plan."

Then, with a shrug of the shoulders, he'd move on and busy himself with something else. An activity. A book. A conversation. His compliant food choices. Etc.

So that's it. As you can tell from the title of this post, which quotes the title of the article, Andrews thinks this a pretty "cheezy" technique. However:
This is one of the most powerful strategies I've ever found for helping folks make the right decisions day in and day out - both in the gym and at the dining table.

It allows folks to avoid the messy mental gymnastics and gives them a touchstone for remaining true to their real intentions and goals. Indeed, it helps us avoid the problem outlined in this quote...

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want most for what they want at the moment."


I love that last line. It exactly describes what happens to me when eat an unplanned sweets or snacks or indulge in crappy food choices when eating out. I settle for what I want at the moment.

I'm going to give the "oh well" technique a try and see if it works.

Tomorrow. And after I eat this cookie.

No comments: