March 31, 2008

Pssst. Hey Buddy. Wanna Coach a Basketball Team?

Doesn't anyone want to coach the Indiana Hoosiers? Let's recap my three top choices.

Bruce Pearl (Tennessee)?
From The Sporting News: Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton said Friday afternoon he'd received no requests from other schools to interview Pearl for another head coaching position. He is confident Pearl will remain at Tennessee.
Tony Bennett (Washington State)?
From The Hoosier Insider: Indiana and Bennett talked about the opening today and the Washington State coach told IU that he wasn't interested in pursuing the position. "I had an exploratory conversation with Indiana,'' Bennett told the newspaper Sunday, "and I am not going to pursue the Indiana job.'' (Possible reasons why)
Sean Miller (Xavier)?
From The Hoosier Scoop: Publicly, Miller has already stated that he wants to stay at Xavier, where’s he’s been the coach since Thad Matta left for Ohio State.

“I will be at Xavier,” Miller said after his team lost to UCLA Saturday. “I’m looking forward to coaching at Xavier and continuing on with what we’ve done for years behind me and what we’ve done this year.”

I know that most of this is based on speculation and rumor, except the Bennet quote. Coaches will endeavor to say the right thing to cover their butts in case any move doesn't pan out. To quote Don Nelson when he coach the Dallas Mavericks, "If my mouth is moving, I'm lying to you." Not that these coaches are lying, but I do hope one of them has a change of heart.

On the bright side, the great destroyer hasn't been contacted by the search committee.

No comments: